Junior Money Maker
Build something special for a child that you love, with tax-efficient savings from £100 per month. When you invest your capital is at risk.
Open to all
With parental permission, friends and family can open a Junior Money Maker for a child.
Sickness benefits included
Additional support worth up to £200 a week, if the child falls ill and can’t attend school.
Help them budget
When the plan finishes, gift the child the full amount or stagger payments annually.
It pays to prepare for the future, whatever that may bring. With our Junior Money Maker you get insurance for you, and sickness benefit and a tax-efficient lump sum for them.
- Save an extra £2,400 per year tax-efficiently on top of the child’s Junior ISA allowance
- You have complete control over what you pay in, from £100 up to £200 per month
- Claim sickness benefit for the child after four weeks of continuous absence from school or college
- When you take out an investment product with us your capital is at risk and you may get back less than you have put in
Remember, the value of investments can fall. You may get back less than you invest. Tax rules can change, and individual effects vary.
With our Junior Money Maker you’re helping support their next step in life, while enjoying the peace of mind that the future is taken care of.
It’s easy to apply
We make life simple. Just complete our online form or call our Member Services Team.
Enjoy flexible payments
As life changes, you’re free to adjust your payments throughout the term of the plan.
See your savings grow
We keep you updated on how the plan is performing and aim to add a bonus each year.
Make their 18th birthday
Set them up with a cash lump sum or stagger payments up to their 21st birthday.
We’re a financial mutual that’s built on fairness. Everything we do is for our members, not shareholders, and all profits made are paid to you or re-invested for your benefit.
Our members love that we do things the right way
Nine out of 10 members would recommend us for the way we help their savings grow.
Helping our members benefit for almost 200 years
The world’s changed a lot since 1826 but our idea of fairness remains the same.
When you’re member-owned, it matters more
We take the financial future of every member personally, because you’re one of us.
Open a Junior Money Maker and get rewarded too. We’ll send you a Love2shop voucher code worth £50 when you make your first payment. See our terms and conditions.
Who can open a Junior Money Maker?
The Junior Money Maker is open to parents or guardians, as well as extended family and friends. Parental consent is required as part of the application.
Can I open a Junior Money Maker for a child if they already have a child’s savings plan?
Absolutely. You can open a Junior Money Maker for a child regardless of any other savings plans they may have.
How much can I save with a Junior Money Maker?
The Junior Money Maker has a maximum annual limit of £2,400.
How is the child’s money invested?
We invest the money in our With-Profits Fund. This is a medium to low risk fund invested primarily in stocks and shares with the aim of achieving higher growth over the long-term.
How long can I claim sickness benefit for the child?
The child is eligible for sickness benefit after four weeks of continuous sickness from school or college, once the plan has been in place for six months.
Sickness is defined as being unable to attend education due to illness or injury. There’s no limit to the number of times you can claim.
The amount of sickness benefit paid depends on your premiums and the duration of the sickness. Full benefit is paid for up to the first 26 weeks of any absence. After that the benefit is reduced by 50%.
- How the investment performs may vary during the term of the plan, because of this the child could receive a higher or lower sum than you expect at the end of the plan and may not get back as much as you have paid in.
- The amount of bonus paid each year is related to the investment performance of Shepherds Friendly’s funds and the total amount of sickness benefit paid out to all members who have this type of plan, therefore, the bonus may fluctuate year-on-year throughout the term of the plan.
- If you end your plan before its maturity date, we will calculate the value of the investments that you hold to ensure that you leave the With-Profits fund with your fair share. If you have been invested through periods of poor investment performance, you may get back less than the current value of your plan.
- If the Plan is stopped and money is taken out at any time before the end of the Plan you will have to pay a surrender penalty.
- The tax treatment of these Plans could change in the future.
When you take out an investment product with us your capital is at risk and you may get back less than you have put in. All references to taxation are to UK taxation and are based on Shepherds Friendly Society’s understanding of current legislation and H M Revenue and Customs practice which may change in the future. Investment growth is by means of bonuses, the amount of which cannot be guaranteed throughout the term of the contract. Please ensure that you read the full terms and conditions of this plan which are available from your financial adviser or by contacting us directly.
Please note: No advice has been given by Shepherds Friendly, and if you are in any doubt as to whether a savings plan is suited to your needs, then you should contact a financial adviser. There may be a charge for financial advice, and the cost should be confirmed to you before any advice is given.