Over 50s Life Insurance
Peace of mind, with guaranteed acceptance and no medical questions.
Affordable premiums that never increase
Pay a minimum of just £10 up to £50 per month. The higher the premium, the greater your level of cover.
Insurance that could cost you less
Unlike some other insurers you’ll only pay premiums to a maximum of age 90, but remain fully covered.
The option of funeral benefit
Choose Golden Charter as your funeral provider and receive an extra £300 towards your funeral.
Our Over 50s Life Insurance gives you the reassurance that when you die, you’re leaving a fixed, tax-free cash lump sum for your loved ones to help with your funeral costs.
- Relax knowing that those left behind will have less to worry about
- If you’re aged 50-80 and live in the UK, you’ll be accepted for cover without a medical
- With a 5-star Defaqto rating, you can trust our Over 50s Life Insurance to work for you
We make it simple to get an instant quote – just click below. You can amend your quote and change the level of cover as many times as you like before you apply.
|Over 50s Life Insurance Provider||Additional funeral benefit||Earliest you could stop paying||Separate rates for non smokers?||Final pay out|
|Shepherds Friendly||£300||Age 80*||£5,139|
|Royal London||£300||Age 90||£4,514|
|Legal and General||£300||Age 90||£4,551|
This table is an example of a 65 year old, non-smoker paying £23 a month. All figures are correct as of 25th November 2020.
*Premiums are no longer payable after the plan has been in place for 30 years, or when you reach age 90, whichever comes first. You will never pay premiums past the age of 90, regardless of when you take out the plan.
We’re a financial mutual that’s built on fairness. Everything we do is for our members, not shareholders, and all profits made are paid to you or re-invested for your benefit.
Our members love that we do things the right way
Nine out of 10 members would recommend us for the way we help their savings grow.
Helping our members benefit for almost 200 years
The world’s changed a lot since 1826 but our idea of fairness remains the same.
When you’re member-owned, it matters more
We take the financial future of every member personally, because you’re one of us.
Open a Over 50s Life Insurance Plan and get rewarded too. We’ll send you a Love2shop voucher code worth up to £50 when you make your first payment. See our terms and conditions.
What is Over 50s Life Insurance?
Our Over 50 Life Insurance is a simple way to leave something behind when you die, either as a gift or to help pay for your funeral.
Over 50s life cover can be taken out if you’re aged between 50 and 80. You pay premiums each month and when you pass away your loved ones will receive a cash sum.
Who can take out Over 50s Life Insurance?
Anyone aged between 50 and 80 and living in the UK can get a quote and apply for our Over 50s Life Insurance.
Do I need a medical for Over 50s Life Insurance?
No, you don’t. You’re guaranteed to be accepted regardless of your health, and we won’t even ask any medical questions.
How do I get a higher sum assured?
Simply by paying more in each month. The higher your monthly premium is, the higher your sum assured (that’s the amount that your estate receives if you die) will be.
What is the funeral benefit option?
This is where a cash lump sum is paid to help cover your funeral costs.
When you start your application, you’ll be asked whether you want to opt-in to receive the funeral benefit option. This pays an extra £300 on top of your Over 50s Life Insurance cover when you choose Golden Charter Funeral Services to take care of your funeral.
Any money left over will be paid to your estate.
- If your circumstances change and you stop paying the premiums, your life cover will end after three missed premiums.
- Over 50s Life Insurance has no cash in value at any time, so if you cancel it after the first 30 days you will get nothing back.
- Your life cover does not start until after the second anniversary of your plan start date, as shown in your plan illustration, unless you die as a result of an accident, in which case your life cover begins from the start date shown on your plan illustration.
- This life plan is not a funeral plan and therefore may not cover the full cost of a funeral.
- Over time, although the amount we pay out on death is fixed, this amount is likely to reduce in value because of the effects of inflation.
- If you live long enough the total premiums you have paid may be greater than the amount payable on death.
All references to taxation are to UK taxation and are based on Shepherds Friendly Society’s understanding of current legislation and H M Revenue and Customs practice which may change in the future. Please ensure that you read the full terms and conditions of this plan which are available from your financial adviser or by contacting us directly.
Please note: No advice has been provided by Shepherds Friendly. If you are in any doubt as to whether a plan is suitable for you, we recommend getting in touch with a financial adviser, who will be happy to take you through what options are available. Should you consult a financial adviser there could be a cost involved and you should confirm this cost beforehand.